Bird out of the Cage

Saturday, March 12, 2011

"I think I have an unhealthy relationship with food...I just love it sooo much!" -Me and a couple dear friends

So as soon as we got into the B&B the cutie little man was so excited and started telling us that basically he’d made his millions and now he just does this because he just loves it. He starts pulling out maps and marking all this stuff and telling us “go here and go there and stop here and try this and that” and and and…he was giddy like a school kid. And it ended with him insisting on the best pizza in all of Napoli (which means it’s the best pizza in all the world…duh J) is just a few blocks down the street, cross to the right once you hit the Farmacia and you’ll be on Via Materdei and walk up and it’s the second pizza joint on the left…NOT the first, the second. Got it.

We went. We witnessed. We indulged. We bulged. We laughed. We philosophized. We enjoyed. It really is the best pizza in all of Napoli. So good in fact that the next night when EVERYTHING closed at 8pm and we were walking down the mountain from the castle in the rain, after Babak made us take another ridiculously expensive taxi ride to nowhere (meaning that the place he took us was closed and who knows where in the dark), we walked all the way through one of the most sketch parts of the WORLD I’ve ever been in until we came out on Via Toledo (which is like the main road) and then walked up until we made our way back there, praying the entire way that it would be open so we didn’t have an untimely demise caused by starvation. Babak doubted me the entire way but I stuck to my guns (and even though when we got off the metro (but it wasn’t a metro I don’t know what it was) in a creepy dark place and I was honestly scared for my life…which wasn’t helped by Babak quietly chanting to himself, “this is not a good place to be. This is not a safe place to be. We should not be here.” I just calmly looked around and noticed where EVERYONE else that got off was going and just followed them…that was a good plan until they all started walking into their homes after a couple blocks. From there I just made some gut driven choices and we ended up A-O-K.). The pizza place is called Pizzaria Starita a Materdei. The owner, the front staff, and our waiters from the night before recognized us and warmly welcomed us back home.

We’re family now. We’re even friends with our Mesopatamian waiter Pan on Facebook and by the end of our time there he was inviting us to come out and party with him and later a couple times before I came home he wrote me to see if we were back in town so he could take us out. Hahaha. I love the world we live in.

p.s. it’s no wonder everyone in Italy is totally skinny, they really don’t have a food establishment on every corner and three in between everywhere you go like we do here in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment