Bird out of the Cage

Monday, March 14, 2011

"Pompeii's a real city? Like people really live here?"

After lunch we had to wait around a little for Janise and so I left my stuff with Babak and went and explored around the little street vendors that crowd all the walkways around Piazza Garibaldi. It's crazy! Between the mad chaos of cars trying to go every which way and with no concern for pedestrians and the men approaching you to try and sell you whatever, and the men at the stands, and the ones in the stores, and then of course the ones sitting on the sidewalk selling, and then add 3.5 people per square foot there's not a lot of breathing room--let alone walking room. I love it! It totally reminds me of some of the crazy morning markets and night markets in Taiwan. With every step you take your life into your hands. It’s awesome! I find it to be totally invigorati ng and like a funny game. How many cars and sales guys can I dodgewithout flinching?? Haha, these are the things that Babak doesn’t let me do though, that’s why I went alone. No, not stupid, just adventurous. In these situations he’s normally got a death grip on my arm or his arm all the way around me and guiding me through the crowds of this world. He’s so cute and Persian. Thank you Babak for your protection. I’m sure you saved my life at some point.

I’ve been on a hunt for a ring. I don’t know exactly what it looks like, what color, stone or no stone, flowers or no flowers, just you know, THE ONE. I haven’t found it yet and I’m not an impulsive buyer so if I don’t see it I will just leave without it. This street had a ton of really rad merch so I thought I’d peruse a little. I found a table that made me double take so I turned on a dime and began to try some on. Meanwhile I must have started dancing around during my search because the nice man at the table asked if I liked the music with kind of a knowing smile and he turned it up a little. I acknowledged that I did and inquired as to its origin.

“Egypt.” He said.

I’m sure you all know by know what happened next. J Well, we began talking about Egypt and then my aunt who’d just been there, and then their current political situation, and then Iran, and then my family, and his family, and his life story and how and why he ended up in Napoli (he’s going on 16 years), and then his business, and and and…He was so nice. Just like a sweet little (actually big) daddy. He’s got 8 kids. 5 boys 3 girls. One son in Houston, Texas, a couple daughters in Italia, a bunch in Egypt, and then I think a couple kids in like Germany…Berlin I think. His oldest grandson is 12 and he’s a little bowl full of jelly. He’s in Egypt and he likes to play futbol (soccer). And his youngest grand is this adorable little girl that loves to dance…really though. She does. I saw her. Before I knew it I was on the phone with his son from Texas so he could prove to me how good his English was and then I’m looking at a slide show of pictures of his grandkids and kids and home videos. Hahahaha, it was awesome!! By the end he offered for me and my family and friends whenever in Napoli to come stay with him and his 21 year old son in their home whenever we want. “It’s little, but it’s clean, close, free, and no one’s ever there because they’re always working…I’ll just leave you a key and you can come and go as you please.” The interesting thing is that

we were currently without a place to stay for this coming evening. By this point it had now been 20 minutes…I know right? I really do know his ENITRE life story…so, I thanked him and headed back. We found Janise like right away and I mentioned to them about my new friend and his welcoming invitation. Janise thought about it for a second and thought it was a great option to consider. If I could describe Babak’s facial expression in words believe me I would. Impossible. Let’s just say I’m pretty sure that was like the last straw for him for my “adventurous side” and if he were a little tea pot short and stout his lid would have gone through the roof on that one.

“Are you crazy Cami joon!?!?!?!? No! Are you serious!! You are crazy!!! NO!! Some little Egyptian man shows you pictures of children on his phone and videos and tells you all about his ‘family’ and then invites you to stay with him and you think that’s ok?!?!?!?!?!”

“umm…(Janise and I look at each other, trying so hard not to laugh because it was for sure one of those situations that laughing would have been the absolutely positively worst thing that could have happened in that moment, we shrug) yes?”

“You guys! WE ARE IN NAPOLI!!!!!” (He may have even thrown a “stupid” in there at some point) “For all you know we walk in and his apartment could be full of guns and weapons or other men to tie us up and take us away and never be seen again and no one would ever know!”

Yeah, you know, people keep telling me that like it’s supposed to strike fear into my soul and cause me to shudder and sweat…hello people, I’m fully aware of my geographic location. I did get myself here using a labeled map.

Ok, ok, sass aside, I know, I know. I’m in Napoli. Most dangerous, deceitful city in the world (which I doubt btw). But seriously, in my defense…

Yes. I believe those really were his children and grandchildren…for one thing they all looked like him.

Yes. I think he’s just a good guy trying to make an honest living for himself and his family.

Yes. I really did feel ok with staying with him as long as a man was with me and Babak happens to be one of those. But really really, I pick up vibes from people and he had nothing bad bouncing off of him. I actually felt a very honest, genuine vibe.

But whatever. You all can think I’m crazy.


Janise just held back giggles (which we let out with force later) and smiled with me in shock for the rather crazy public display that had just taken place in the middle of Napoli Centrale. Babak didn’t even let the conversation continue from there. He just picked up his bag and stormed off in the direction of the circumvensuvianna which is the train that takes you south toward the Amalfi Coast.


“We’re going to Pompeii. Get on the train.”


He didn’t talk to us after that for a little bit.


As we boarded the train, Babak looks back at me and says, “You are never allowed to talk to strangers again…especially nice little Egyptian men.”


We got to Pompeii. Me standing in a corner because it was easier for me to lean on things than take off my pack and put it on again. Babak sitting in the baggage area, like literally this little cubby hole. Janise sitting in the middle of a group of old people just laughing, yelling, and chatting away. They were really cute.

We got off at Pompeii basically in the same manner as when we first arrived in Napoli…actually totally different because this time I didn’t have a single friendly little note in the PB to give me even the slightest inkling as to where to go or even begin. Well that’s a lie actually. I know I should go to the ruins. Luckily as played guess and check and started walking in the direction we thought the civilization might be in and nice bus driver just pulled over, had us get on his bus and took us to where a handful of hostels were. Perfect! I love small towns.

Studio 39 was the destination of the evening. Nice beds, totally spotless clean, smelled good, food and water provided, and better yet…all the wifi my little heart had been longing for. Maybe I just let Babak and Janise go explore that night and I sat and typed, skyped, called, and emailed away.


It. Was. Glorious.


p.s. did you know that Pompeii is like a real city like tons of people live there and there's industry and...yup, like I said, I promise I'm not stupid or like didn't pay attention in school but I swear to you no one ever taught me that Pompeii was inhabitable...they only ever just made it sound like it was ruins. Haha, go ahead and laugh at my expense... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment