Bird out of the Cage

Monday, February 21, 2011

"Can I help you?" --Nice young lady that helped us with the phone, Hungary




Hungary is a very interesting place. It reminds me a lot of the Czech Republic, outside of historic Praha (Prague). Everywhere you go looks like a scene straight out of an old WWII movie—even the people. Everything looks like it hasn’t been repaired since the 1950s, it’s all very very dirty, gloomy, and dark, people don’t seem smile as much (though people don’t smile as much in most countries I been in the EU when compared to the US), cars, roads, buildings, signs, most things look like they’re falling apart or about to. It’s beautiful though. I know that sounds weird but little known fact, I used to be absolutely obsessed with WWII, the Holocaust, and that time period of European history, far more than our own, for years throughout elementary, jr. high, and high school. I love it! I’m sure I’ve recommended the Museum of Tolerance to a couple of you that have come or thought about coming through LA. To me, the scene around me was like an opportunity to walk through the time in history which most fascinates me. You know, people always randomly bring up that whole question about, “if there was a time period you’d want to visit what would it be?” Of course I would love to walk along the Sea of Galilee with my Savior or experience the Great Persian Empire at it’s most glorious, but WWII time period is up there too and I was actually getting to do it! Amazing. It took my breath away. I could just feel the history blowing along like wind across the walls and see it’s presence deep in the eyes and wrinkles of these wonderful people’s faces. Truly, truly amazing. I would trade Paris and London for this any day. Such a rich and dynamic history. Though I must say, the number of people able to understand our thick American accent declined significantly and we found it difficult to even use the phone. Haha. That’s awesome. And look, we really weren’t “taken” and that was definitely the leg of the trip, if there will be any, that I would have put money on for “Most likely time to be taken.” Good job us. I wasn’t worried for a second. Really really.

No comments:

Post a Comment