Bird out of the Cage

Sunday, February 27, 2011






Oh hey!!

So, this is going to be the pansiest post ever! But, rest assured much more detailed, hopefully comical, sense making alterations will be made when I get a good chunk of time. But, since I have about 10 more minutes with the internet until i catch my train to Roma (ummm, yeah, Italia!!), I will post my notes from Germany and France. I guess this will just give you a glimpse into my writing process. It basically goes something like this:

Step 1: Furiously type up "bullet" style notes of all my adventures and experiences so as to avoid giving into my ever loving short-term memory loss.

Step 2: Go through and make fragment-bullet-thoughts into sentences.

Step 3: Add in the funny details.

Step 4: Spelling and grammar check (not super thorough usually, as I'm sure you've all noticed...don't judge)

Step 5: Find internet.

Step 6: Post it!

Step 7: Mom is happy. (love you!!)

So, here are some of the "field notes" for the past week or so...

We took another night train. 7+ hours this time. Absolutely the most awesomely aweful seats of my life though they were a smart shade of orange with bright blue and yellow accent. I felt like I was sitting in an episode of “That 70’s Show: European Trainride,” including one of the guys sitting near us. Destination: Freiburg temple, #20. I’m sooooo excited!!! I may have mentioned this before, but originally this was a trip I was going to go on by my lonesome and it was going to be 95% backpacking tour of all the temple in Europe (other than Ukraine, I want to wait for Seany for that one) and I would stay with and see family where ever they were along the way. I have this “bucket list” for my life and one of the top 5 is “Serve in Every Temple in the World.” I’ve actually been actively working toward that goal for the past 2-3 years. It’s been an amazing, adventurous experience. By the end of this trip I will have served in the following temples:


California:

- Newport Beach

- Redlands

- San Diego

- Los Angeles

Utah:

- Provo

- Mount Timpanogus

- Draper

- Ochirr Mountain

- JordanRiver

- Salt Lake City

- Bountiful

- Ogden

- Logan

Idaho:

- Twin Falls

Washington:

- Colorado River

- Seattle

Florida:

- Orlando

Canada:

- Vancouver

Paraguay:

- Asuncion

Germany:

- Freiburg

- Frankfurt

England:

- London

Switzerland:

- Bern


In addition to these I have visited or attended a live ordinance at:


California:

- Oakland

Oregon:

- Portland (daddy and I actually went to do a session and they let us in thinking we were workers…we were too early for any opportunity and had to leave for Canada before we’d be able to complete any. Sad day. It’s ok, just leaves room for next time)

Nevada:

- Las Vegas

Arizona:

- Mesa

Utah:

- St. George

- Manti

Idaho:

- Rexburg

- Boise

Washington, D.C.:

- Washington, D.C.

New York:

- Manhattan

Illinois:

- Navuoo

Hawaii:

- Honolulu

Italy:

- Roma


Map from lady, taxi, temple, everyone was American, Alaska, and califorina, temple pres hooked us up, walked back barefoot,

Gottingen, can’t get ahold of Mazi, dinner—burger king, tried to walk, got totally turned aroung, opted for taxi, 7 euro was well worth not being lost all evening, mazi waiting at bus station, homa wouldn’t stop hugging and kissing me, just talked all night long.

Went to church n the morning, missed the bus so we could wait for homa, walked half the way and made it for sacrament, so little, everyone came and talked to us, there were like 8 investigators, his old scout leader is now bishop, a man taking pictures (got email but still haven’t seen those pics), some greeny budge boy and a seasoned elder—at first I thought he was german because his emnglish had a strong accent, Fulbright!!, janise’s friend met up with us and they joined us for yummy Persian dinner and headed to hitchhike, separate for three days, hungout, relaxed and just talked. Once everyone knew I was in germany family all started called and skyping…it was fun! Daddy’s bday skype. Missionary work opportunities (We need you!!!)

Next day woke up and didn’t want to help missionaries (and I totally know how that feels as a missionary—we’re so lame, head off to Dortmund to meet some more family, get there Aunt Malak and Uncle Sharock, the house, the uncles, aunt astrid and Jian, way too much fun!!! Got distracted by wonderful dinner and company, everyone wanted me to stay for a few days, ran upstairs with the cousins and figured out how to, 20 mintues to get to the train, Astin Martin!! Racecar driver to the station and make it to the platform as the doors open, Perfection! Get back hung out with Mazi and Homa, next morning taxi was Persian lady and she comped my ride “you’re my guest,” get back to Dortmund, Uncle Homaun and Jian pick me up, take me to lunch where the manager for the Dortmund soccer team is sitting next to us with his family (they’re number one, and like 5 years ago he was one of their top players), gave me the grand tour, shopping area, a couple old churches, and the brewery/museum, haha, head back, everyone comes over again, spent the afternoon and much of the evening discussing family history over tea, cookies, fruit, and chocolate. Retired in Jian’s room, apparently one of our uncles told him how it’s really good for your back to sleep on the flat hard mattresses and so he always asks if he can. As I was going to bed, aunt Malak was headed back over with fixins for who knows what to send with me for the next day. I awoke the next morning to a myriad of gifts and my bag brimming with snacks and fruit and drink, already packed for me, and breakfast on the table, two pieces of bread, buttered, one with a slice of meat, the other with cheese, and a hot cup of tea.

Take a pill with fizzy water, yuck!!! But we had a great laugh through the embarrassment. Another ride to the train station in the astin martin and uncle Homaun took me all the way to my seat, carrying my bag which they swear must be around 50 kilos…they may be right. Hey, don’t judge. I promised mom I wouldn’t do Europe ugly again.

I ended up riding in my own cabin and began typing away and after a few short stops I was joined by a slender, young French boy named Matthew. He was on his way back from a short vacation home, and now it was time to hit the books. Back to Law school studying germane and French law. Sound interesting.

Got to paris and headed to Andie’s on line 9 to Porte St. Cloud, right next to the mcdonalds. I should have just believed it and looked harder originally. Some guys walking slower and kept looking my way, I must have actually looked lost…which I wasn’t. in the words of daddy, “I knew exactly where I was.”

Got there and was anxiously greeted by Louis (4), Gabriel (6.5), and Etinen, then Andie and Alice (2). Sooooo cute! Loved them! Such big peering eyes. Stay up till 11pm chatting and into the guest bedroom. We had dinner…loved it!

Effiel tower, boat tour, freezing, crepe, hot cocoa, cute black boy “pilot”, not really must have a funny definition of pilot in French, walked next metro, tried to find market, wasn’t there, but real good baguette, off to Montemarte bascillica, street lined with vender—just like LA, street performers, very similar to what I remember the Spanish steps in Roma being like, got postcards—finally, promise I’ll send them, just don’t know from where J, off to the Arch de Triomph and Champs Elisses, the Louis ventant store wasn’t there anymore…or atleast if it was it was no longer that rad shape as it was 6 years ago, oh mcd’s, went into a place called “public drug store” apparently you have to wear designer clothes and a black p-coat to fit the dress code, guard followed us around after making Janise stop taking pictures—fanciest drug store I’ve ever been in. J then for a Parisian burger. Interesting, milkshake was like straight milk with strawberry flavoring, overall totally worth it. Saw the Eiffel tower all lit up and headed back. They were asleep and we were exhausted. Read bom and fell asleep.

Got up early to play with the kids and say our goodbyes. Made a plan (3 actually) missed the first, hop on hop off a couple times, met a lady in the station, gave her our extra ticket, sundance film festival jacket, great English with a beautiful accent, stellar outfit and glasses that I may envy for the rest of my life, got to the station and all the times I’d just seen online they couldn’t find. Found a ticket machine, navigated through the French and figure out there’d be a totally different option leaving in 15 minutes. Found it, hopped on, it was great! Now on our way to Bern, we will get there yet! So excited about the temple and staying in patron housing…we’ll see if they let us J our goals: Einstien’s house, the bear pit, and The Munster Catherdral.


sidenote: Bern Temple was amazing!!!!! We went this morning. But I promise to tell you all about it...just...later.


Ciao! Ciao!


Oh yeah, and sooo excited about taking Uncle Babak to church tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment