Bird out of the Cage

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Just before I got here a missile turned my truck into swiss cheese." -Dave, Iraq

We walked back, I stopped in on a little market and bought some fruit and a bag of chips and we headed off to the bus.

You see there aren't any trains that run along the Amalfi Coast so we get to take a bus. It goes literally right along the coastline. OMGoodness! It is breath taking! First stop, Positano.

Now, my this point we had a pretty good grasp on where we wanted to go and stop along the coast and for weeks now I had been anxiously looking forward to a beautiful day spent lounging on the beach in Positano. Like, I almost just wore by bathing suit there...

good thing we didn't.
We get there just fine. It's absolutely more than I could have imagined. We set out to find somewhere to stay and...the most incredible wind storm OF MY LIFE blew in!! Oh my. I almost died trying to walk up this ridiculously slopped sidewalk. Like we're talkin' I had my pack on and I just about went bounding down the mountain face village...if I hadn't caught myself I probably would have rolled all the way down into the village center by the sand!

It was so intense. After like 20 minutes of that plus not seeing a soul! and every thing's closed...we took our lives into our hands and made it back to the bus stop to take shelter. Even there though we were being blown around...granted the shelter was like 1/4 inch or less diameter sticks held together with string on a tree limb cemented into the ground vertically.

"We're getting on the next bus out of here. I don't care where it's going!" (me)

And that's what we did.

Luckily the next bus, though it took like 30 minutes, was heading in the direction of the actually town Amalfi. I had some information for a hostel there and it was definitely on our "must spend significant time" in list. By the time we got there the good ole weather man had thrown some rain into the mix.

We got off the bus and literally just stood there for a few seconds. We found out that the hostel closes at 2pm everyday for check-in...awesome, it was 4pm by the time we got there...there goes that option. I looked around a little and spotted a travel shop off to the northeast of the bus stop. Perfect! I skipped over there...closed. Like really really closed. Perfect.

Our tummies decided it was time to take decision making into their own hands and grumbled their way into our heads. Time for food. We decided to just find somewhere to eat and think about housing after that. Maybe there we could ask some locals too.

I picked an alley and we head up it, enjoying the scenery as we went. This little jaunt lead us to an adorable little spot with a really nice mama cooking away. Bruschetta, lasagna, spaghetti, and hot chocolate was the order of the evening and boy was it good.

At some point the lady's brother came in and he owns a hotel so he said he'd take us there whenever we were done. Meanwhile this American guy walks away from his table looking kinda lost but with camera in hand...classic, "uh, I need someone to take a picture but I'm nervous to ask." I made eye contact with him and offered. They couple invited us to join them for the remainder of our meals. We moved to the table right next to their and enjoyed really good conversation about military issues, life, and mentality.

Dave and Jess. Both military. He is currently serving in Iraq and was on his mid-point leave. She flew out to meet him in Rome and they were spending the rest of their time together in Positano in some little villa. They got engaged two days before that night.

It was really interesting talking with them about their experiences with the military and hearing their thoughts and perceptions of the politics going on in the States with reference to the military. Jess's ENTIRE family is military. I guess her dad is pretty high up too in the Army and so he's gone all the time. Like she said when Sept. 11 happened he left like that day and was gone for two years! That's insane! I really don't think I'm built like that. Uniforms are hot but I don't know if I'm as strong as those women. Shoot, she spent a year in wherever...I don't remember...but somewhere in the Middle East herself when she was like 19. Wow. That's all I can really say.

It really made me reflect on some of my dear friends that are out there right now. Devan, Christian, Christopher, one of Seany's best buds from high school, oh and Danny. Geez, I really don't like this but I am very grateful to the men and women that are willing to serve their country in that manner.

By the time dinner had rapped up they were aware of our situation and offered for us to stay with the at their villa. They said there was plenty of room being that it was just the two of them. We had felt very comfortable with them for the past two hours so we excitedly accepted the invitation and Dave and I figure out a place to meet that I had noticed on the bus ride.

They took off on their scooter and we waited and then hopped on the bus. This'll be fun!...ha! that's what we thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment