Bird out of the Cage

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Don't worry cars stop for dogs, just not people" -Me, after Janise almost died...twice

On the train ride we met the nicest couple that was there on one of their annual trips. They reminded me so much of my family and my parents. By the end of the ride I had his business card and an open invitation for if we're ever in Orlando alone, with friends, or family to stay at their home. They also gave us the card for this romantical little spot hanging off the cliffs of Amalfi for us to stay at. He said, "Just tell him we sent you and he'll give you a great little deal."

Sorrento is the end of the line for the circumvesuviana and so we just folded ourselves into the herd and headed out into the city.

It started raining. We ended up out on Corso Italia and just walked slowly as we absorbed the feel of the now sparkling night. There were so many lights and cute little shops and people and cars and buses and motor scooters. And you know we were definitely in the middle of tourism because like we say about cold beach days at home,

"Only tourist go out when it's like this."

It kind of made me giggle watching these women ducking into the shoulders of their significant others trying to hide from the rain, not step in puddles, keep their silk shirts, skirts, scarves, or whatever unspotted, and all the while I'm thinking they should be more concerned about keeping those 4 inch heels underneath them. Many just rushed over to the little men that seemed to just spontaneously appear out of the crevices of the walls selling umbrellas.

Janise suggested making a purchase as well being that I didn't have a hood, but I declined. I actually had one in my bag but I LOVE THE RAIN!!! It always just makes me want to just sing and dance around and jump in puddles or drive through them had I a mode. I actually did start singing a little but it's just not the same without my siblings. Miss those kids.

Janise had written down the address for some hostel so we set off in search of it. We ended up walking all around the main center of Sorrento before it was getting dark enough outside that I felt like it was time to ask for directions. Really, one of my favorite parts of traveling is the exploration of all the little nooks and crannies that make little places what they are, so up until that point I was thoroughly enjoying our stroll.

A little man gave us directions:

Cross the street, walk until you hit the bridge, cross the bridge, after the bridge cross to the left and there will be a little hidden staircase, go up the stairs, go right at the top of the stairs, walk and the place is pretty far down on the left.

Done and done...like 30 minute walk later we arrived at the sketchiest place of the trip thus far. It was like the second or third floor of this building and we had to buzz to get in and then there was absolutely no signage so we guessed and checked until we got up the right creepy dark staircase to the hostel door. It was all decorated with...well, pretty much everything under the sun. Bright this and that, dangley here and there, paintings, sculptures, framed magazine cutouts, other hostel brochures, family pictures (at least I assume that's who they were), religious decor, weird, ugly, beautiful, cute, strange, "I don't want to ask" stuff, you name it, it was there.

The man was nice, though I wouldn't choose to interact with him again in my future, and we lucked out that the hostel was empty that night so we ended up with a room for 8 and a bathroom all to ourselves. That was nice. Kinda not the most clean place I've ever been in, and let's not even talk about how safe and secure I felt in there. Oh and the view! It was to die for! Or maybe made us feel like either a. we wanted to shoot ourselves (there was a lovely aroma of urine if you opened the window and the train tracks were a mere rocks toss away and the sound of that lovely horn was far from a welcomed serenade...we actually joked about trying to jump from our window and landing on top of one of the trains...what? The distance was probably totally possible...it was just the whole moving train thing that we got caught up on) and b. we might actually die...like in our sleep or not! Let's just say that had Romeo wanted to scale the wall and beckon us he could have does so with great easy and with no assistance from Rapunzel...not to mention I'm pretty sure the wind could have blown open the window on it's own. Brilliant! Never felt so safe in my life :)...I won't even tell you about the mother of the owner who was out there when we went out to walk around after checking in...think creepy Cruella De Vil surrounded in a puff of smoke...

We definitely said our prayers before going to bed...and maybe I slept with my valuables under my pillow.

Oh how I love traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment